The Cowen Institute’s College and Career Readiness initiative is deeply committed to direct programming that benefits New Orleans students by guiding them toward college and other robust post-secondary opportunities that lead to sustainable, fulfilling careers. The College and Career Readiness work at the Cowen Institute is anchored by Upward Bound programming and a history of successful Advanced Placement supports to schools that brings years of experience as well as national and local best practice to increase post-secondary success for high need and underserved high school students in New Orleans.
With the goal of providing support to young people so that they leave high school with a robust post-secondary action plan, we provide the following:
- Individual college and career advising for seniors with an emphasis on fit/match post-secondary planning
- Topic specific workshops on college applications, fit-match training, personal statements, FAFSA and financial aid, scholarships and assistance with research on careers of the future, career pathways, networking and work readiness skills
- Planning and organizing of college exposure trips and college fairs, in partnership with school staff, that will help increase students’ interest and awareness of best fit schools
- Planning and organizing of Career Days and Career Speakers to broaden perspective and opportunities in a variety of professional fields
- The Upward Bound program services 50 high school students from New Orleans. It is a federally-funded grant program that focuses on college completion for first generation/low-income students. The goal is to increase the rate at which underrepresented students enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education. Students are accepted into the program at the beginning of high school and continue until college graduation. Ultimately, the student and the Upward Bound team commit to each other for 8-10 years. Upward Bound has found great success in the programming model of weekly tutoring, career exploration, individual counseling, supplemental academic support, ACT workshops, college prep courses, rigorous high school courses, cultural events, and college tours. Currently, Upward Bound has over a 88% persistence rate with its alumni in post-secondary education. The program has a 100% high school graduation rate and 97% college acceptance rate.
College Readiness Contacts: