The Cowen Institute Earn and Learn Program Coordinator will help lead the creation, initial start-up and long-term growth of Tulane’s Earn and Learn program, a workplace learning opportunity for New Orleans Opportunity Youth (OY). Opportunity Youth are 16-24 year olds disconnected from school and work. The Earn and Learn program is Tulane’s pilot program for reengaging OY and employers. During the yearlong program, enrolled OY will work at and be paid by Tulane, while also receiving intensive career-focused skills and academic training through partner Delgado Community College’s Accelerated Career Education (ACE) program. At the end of the year, participating youth will receive an industry-based certificate and the Cowen Institute will help them find long-term employment.
The Program Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring that youth participants develop the skills necessary for postsecondary and career success, both during the program at their Tulane worksites and as graduates in their careers and further postsecondary opportunities. The Coordinator will directly oversee interns from the Tulane School of Social Work and the Center for Public Service and report to the Earn and Learn Program Manager.
Program Coordinator Key Responsibilities:
Work individually with youth clients, serve as the primary advocate for youth participants, and provide regular case management and mentoring services.
Model pro-social behavior, confront negative behaviors with youth, and consult with Earn and Learn staff on the most appropriate response to these behaviors.
Develop relationships with youth participants’ families to maintain dialogue about their needs and progress in the program.
Maintain accurate case documentation in order to capture the scope of work done with youth.
Coordinate intake and ongoing assessments of Earn and Learn participants.
Lead youth workshops on soft skills development.
Provide program graduates with supports for six months after the program.
Be available to provide support and assistance to Earn and Learn program affiliates (at Tulane jobsites, Delgado, and resource and referral programs, etc.) on client-specific issues.
Manage interns from Tulane School of Social Work and the Center for Public Service.
Work with the Earn and Learn Program Manager to track all program data, ensure data integrity, and develop program analyzes based on that data.
Other duties as assigned.
- Two years experience working with at-risk populations. Former classroom teacher, social worker, or youth advocate desired
- Familiarity with education policy, curriculum and at-risk youth research
- Self-directed and results oriented, with the ability to thrive in an evolving workplace.
- Experience working with data management and data analysis
- Belief in the ability of all youth, regardless of background, to be prosperous, successful adults
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to adhere and model all Cowen Institute values at all times
- Ability to grasp larger vision for Cowen Institute’s Reconnecting Opportunity
- Ability to oversee interns and volunteers
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree and background in Social Work desired
- Former community-based program manager, classroom teacher, social worker, curriculum specialist, or instructional leader with track record of achieving results with underserved communities
- Startup experience
- Familiarity with New Orleans educational system in general and Cowen Institute work specifically
- Managerial experience highly
Applicants should apply to posting number IRC3233 at iRecruitment