In the years since Hurricane Katrina, public school performance in New Orleans as measured by standardized test scores has increased. There are several ways to measure student achievement, including passage rates of initial test takers on specific grade level tests. High-stakes standardized tests in 4th grade, 8th grade, and 10th grade have been given for nearly a decade in Louisiana, and these tests provide a decent way of comparing pre-storm and post-storm achievement in those grades.
However, it is important to recognize that the pre- and post-storm public school populations in New Orleans are different. Similar ethnic and income demographics make the current population of students roughly similar to the pre-2005 population of students as a whole, but it is unclear how many of the currently enrolled students were in schools in the city before the storm and how they differ from the students who never came back.
The Cowen Institute works to examine trends in school performance and make relevant comparisons between New Orleans, Louisiana, and national achievement levels. We also analyze the variances between different school types currently operating in the city. Below is a compilation of our work and additional resources related to student achievement.
- Cowen Institute Reports, Publications & Presentations
- From the Blog
- The Cowen Institute in the News
- Additional Resources
NOLA by the Numbers: School Performance Scores, 2013
This brief provides an analysis of the 2013 School Performance Scores and Letter Grades for public schools in New Orleans compared to previous years.
NOLA by the Numbers: ACT Scores, Class of 2012
This brief provides an overview of ACT scores at New Orleans high schools for the class of 2012.
NOLA by the Numbers: School Performance Scores, 2012
This brief provides an analysis of the 2012 School Performance Scores and Letter Grades for public schools in New Orleans compared to previous years.
NOLA by the Numbers: First-Time College Freshmen, Class of 2010
This brief looks at data on New Orleans public high school graduates in the class of 2010 who enrolled as full-time college freshmen at a Louisiana two- or four-year, private or public college in the fall after graduating.
NOLA by the Numbers: School Performance Scores, 2011
This brief provides an analysis of the 2011 School Performance Scores and Letter Grades for public schools in New Orleans compared to previous years.
NOLA by the Numbers: ACT Scores, Class of 2011
This brief provides an overview of ACT scores at New Orleans high schools for the class of 2011.
NOLA by the Numbers: First-Time College Freshmen, Class of 2009
This brief looks at data on New Orleans public high school graduates in the class of 2009 who enrolled as full-time college freshmen at a Louisiana two- or four-year, private or public college in the fall after graduating.
NOLA by the Numbers: High-Stakes Testing, 2010-2011
This brief provides an overview of LEAP and GEE performance at New Orleans public schools for the 2010-2011 school year.
NOLA by the Numbers: ACT Scores, Class of 2010
This brief provides an overview of ACT scores at New Orleans high schools for the class of 2010.
Surveying the Public High School Landscape in New Orleans
In this brief, the Cowen Institute looks at various academic performance indicators for all public high schools open today in New Orleans.
NOLA by the Numbers: School Performance Scores, 2009-2010
The first in the Cowen Institute’s NOLA by the Numbers series, this brief presents an analysis of the 2010 SPS scores and how they compare to previous years.
A Close Look at the 2010 LEAP Scores and Their Gains and Declines Over Time
This brief examines the 2009-2010 test scores and considers how they compare to the previous year and to 2007, the first full school year after Hurricane Katrina.
Performance and Demographics of Public Schools in New Orleans
This document is comprised of a series of graphs representing School Performance Labels, LEAP, iLEAP, and GEE performance, and demographic information for public schools in New Orleans.
2008 Orleans Parish School District and Recovery School District LEAP/GEE Scores in Context
This document is comprised of a series of graphs representing the LEAP and GEE scores for Orleans Parish School Board and Recovery School District schools as well as all public schools in Louisiana for the school years ending in 2005, 2007, and 2008.
The State of Public Education in New Orleans
These publications are part of a series that the Cowen Institute produces on a regular basis about the state of public education in New Orleans. The reports include a comprehensive description of the current system, including information specific to student achievement.
- 2012 State of Public Education in New Orleans July 2012
- 2011 State of Public Education in New Orleans July 2011
- The State of Public Education in New Orleans: School Finances March 2011
- The State of Public Education in New Orleans: School Facilities December 2010
- The State of Public Education in New Orleans: Five Years After Hurricane Katrina July 2010
- 2010 State of Public Education in New Orleans March 2010
- Public School Performance in New Orleans, A Supplement to the 2008 State of Public Education in New Orleans January 2009
- 2008 State of Public Education in New Orleans April 2008
- 2007 State of Public Education in New Orleans April 2007
- NCLB Waiver is an Opportunity for Public Education in Louisiana 3/15/2012
- What Makes a Great School Truly Great? 3/1/2012
- An Intern’s Perspective: Marshall Cox 12/9/2011
- The RSD’s Plan for High Schools Leaves Some Students Behind 11/15/2011
- High Stakes End-of-Course Test Results Are Encouraging 8/26/2011
- Percentage of Students in Failing Schools Increases in Face of Higher Performance Threshold 8/2/2011
- How Many Students are Left in Failing Schools? 6/28/2011
- Public School Reform in New Orleans is Working 6/6/2011
- What’s Driving the Improvements We’re Seeing Five Years After Katrina? 2/17/2011
- New Orleans Sees Improved ACT Scores in 2010 1/31/2011
- Louisiana is falling behind in college readiness 11/17/2010
- Are We Setting Our Middle Schoolers Up for Failure? 9/29/2010
- A Closer Look at the LEAP and GEE Data 6/11/2010
- 2010 LEAP Results Quick Facts 6/2/2010
- Looking at Other Measures of Performance: The Assessment Index Versus the School Performance Score 4/29/2010
- RSD Achievement Growth as Compared to the State: A Response to Louisiana Educator 4/29/2010
- Can a ‘Moneyball’ Approach Turn Around New Orleans Schools?, National Journal, 3/13/2013
- New Orleans schools outperform state, nation in graduating students, WWLTV, 1/14/2013
- No New Orleans schools will return to city control in 2013-14, Times-Picayune, 1/3/2013
- Better scores equal better schools: Editorial, Times-Picayune, 1/2/2013
- ACT scores show gain in New Orleans’ Recovery School District, Times-Picayune, 12/28/2012
- Louisiana notches small gain in ACT college test scores Times-Picayune, 8/22/2012
- New Orleans Boasts Rising Test Scores: Critics Ask, Who’s Left Out? New America Media, 6/8/2012
- States Creating New Districts to Steer ‘Turnarounds’ Education Week, 12/12/2011
- Stricter college admissions rules could keep many local high school graduates out Times-Picayune, 9/25/2011
- What Explains the Post-Katrina Success of New Orleans Schools? ColorLines, 8/29/2011
- Louisiana ACT college entrance examination scores see small increase Times-Picayune, 8/17/2011
- No denying Orleans schools are making strides Times-Picayune, 7/3/2011
- Average ACT score remains at 17.5 for New Orleans public school students Times-Picayune, 2/10/2011
- Recovery School District high schools continue to lag behind Times-Picayune, 11/1/2010
- New Orleans public schools assessment 5 years after Hurricane Katrina Times-Picayune, 7/30/2010
- After Katrina, how charter schools helped recast New Orleans education Christian Science Monitor, 8/29/2010
- Higher LEAP scores add fuel to debate over charter schools Times-Picayune, 5/30/2010
- LEAP scores improve in New Orleans for third straight year Times-Picayune, 5/21/2009
- Schools’ scores better since Katrina Times-Picayune, 1/26/2009
- Cowen Institute releases 2009 report on Public School Performance in New Orleans Times-Picayune, 1/22/2009