- Cowen Institute Reports, Publications & Presentations
- From the Blog
- The Cowen Institute in the News
- Additional Resources
2014-15 School Governance Chart
This document consists of two charts that detail the organizational structure of public schools in New Orleans for the 2013-14 school year. Download previous years’ charts below:
- 2013-14 school chart
- 2012-13 school chart
- 2011-12 school chart
- 2010-11 school chart
- 2009-10 school chart
Transforming Public Education in New Orleans: The Recovery School District, 2003-2011
This report presents a history of the RSD from its pre-Katrina inception in 2003 through 2011, including an analysis of the various issues and conditions that have defined its existence, and an examination of the RSD’s role in the future. Click here to download the executive summary.
Returning Schools to Local Control: The Recovery School District Return Policy and Its Implications
This policy brief includes our analysis and recommendations to the policy and process guiding schools under the jurisdiction of the Recovery School District as they return to the local school board.
K-12 Public Education Through the Public’s Eye: A Survey of the New Orleans Community
The Cowen Institute’s second annual public opinion poll surveyed New Orleans voters to assess their opinions about recent public education reforms and the future direction of public schools in New Orleans.
Cowen Institute’s Opinion on Public School Governance
This statement puts forward our primary goals in creating a new system of governance for public schools in Orleans Parish. It calls on the various government entities over education and the community at large to engage in an open dialogue to ensure that we create a system that best meets the needs of our city’s children.
An Analysis of the Recommendation Concerning the Transfer of RSD Schools to Local Control
This position paper reflects our analysis and recommended revisions to the state superintendent’s recommendation on the future of schools under the auspices of the Recovery School District.
Louisiana Charter School Authorizer Excellence Project
This report examines the history of charter schools in New Orleans and Louisiana and explores options for charter school authorizers and for the governance of charter schools themselves.
Decision Time: Questions and Answers About the Return of Schools to Local Control
This brief reviews the law regarding the process for returning Recovery School District schools to local control, describes areas that need clarification, and highlights what the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education has to do over the months leading up to their final decision.
Orleans Public Education Network Understanding Governance Series Presentation
This presentation was given by the Cowen Institute’s research team at the Understanding Governance Summer Series hosted by the Orleans Parish Public Education Network (OPEN). The series aimed to increase awareness and offer clarity on the various models local researchers proposed for public school governance.
Managing Innovation: Models for Governing the System of Public Schools in New Orleans
This report, published in partnership with the Bureau of Governmental Research, presents five potential models for governing public schools in New Orleans and discusses the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Creating a Governing Framework for Public Education in New Orleans
In this series, the Cowen Institute analyzes both the history of educational governance in New Orleans and the experiences of other school districts with a variety of governing frameworks. It focuses on three levels of governance: school district political leadership, the central office and the school, and charter school authorizers and operators.
Defining the Role of City Hall in K-12 Public Education in New Orleans
Prior to the 2010 mayoral election, the Cowen Institute investigated what role and authority the Mayor of New Orleans actually wields in New Orleans’ public education landscape. This paper highlights our recommendations.
The State of Public Education in New Orleans
These publications are part of a series that the Cowen Institute produces on a regular basis about the state of public education in New Orleans. The reports include a comprehensive description of the current system, including information specific to system-level governance.
- 2012 State of Public Education in New Orleans July 2012
- 2011 State of Public Education in New Orleans July 2011
- The State of Public Education in New Orleans: School Finances March 2011
- The State of Public Education in New Orleans: School Facilities December 2010
- The State of Public Education in New Orleans: Five Years After Hurricane Katrina July 2010
- 2010 State of Public Education in New Orleans March 2010
- Public School Performance in New Orleans, A Supplement to the 2008 State of Public Education in New Orleans January 2009
- 2008 State of Public Education in New Orleans April 2008
- 2007 State of Public Education in New Orleans April 2007
- What’s on the Horizon for Public Education in New Orleans? 3/17/2011
- The Search for a New Superintendent 12/17/10
- Cowen Institute’s Opinion on Public School Governance 10/19/10
- Superintendent Pastorek Releases Recommendation for RSD Schools 9/15/10
- BESE’s Review of Governance of RSD Schools Begins Tomorrow 9/13/10
- Ensuring Transparency & Accountability In the Charter School Renewal Process 6/4/2010
- Caddo could see school takeover Shreveport Times, 3/24/2013
- What should local control of New Orleans’ schools look like? Times-Picayune, 9/28/2012
- New Expulsion Guidelines Issued for La. Recovery School District Education Week, 7/17/12
- Recovery School District has become entrenched in New Orleans education landscape Times-Picayune, 1/20/2012
- Tulane institute gives RSD plan mostly good review WWLTV, 9/13/2011
- New Recovery School District chief has great opportunity: A letter to the editor Times-Picayune, 5/5/2011
- Paul Vallas leaves New Orleans schools as a disaster recovery expert Times-Picayune, 4/17/2011
- High Level Departures Continue at City Schools New York Times, 4/6/2011
- A State of Distrust New Orleans Magazine, 2/2011
- BESE Approves Pastorek Plan National Public Radio WWNO, 12/15/2010
- The Pastorek Plan Gambit, 12/6/2010
- Orleans Parish School Board is fighting to survive Times-Picayune, 11/28/2010
- State superintendent charts course for New Orleans schools to return to local control Times-Picayune, 9/12/2010
- Watchdog groups recommend new models for governing New Orleans public schools Times-Picayune, 5/19/2010
- New Orleans public schools assessment 5 years after Hurricane Katrina Times-Picayune, 7/30/2010
- Tulane University report praises, prods New Orleans educators Times-Picayune, 3/8/2010